Experienced Specialist English Language Tutor
Request your free list of English Language tutors by entering your postcode in the Postcode Search Box. Personal Tutors provide a tutoring service which introduces pre-vetted, experienced English Language tutors to parents of pupils needing help with English, and to adult students.
Our private tutors support all levels from Primary KS1 & KS2, KS3, GCSE, IGCSE, to AS Level and A Level English. SQ Nat 5, Higher and Advanced Higher English. University undergraduate level.
What Does an English Language Tutor Teach?
The English curriculum helps students develop their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills and helps students become confident and proficient communicators who are able to express themselves effectively in a variety of settings. A tutor can help with a general understanding of English Language or concentrate on individual topics. One-to-one tutoring supports any aspect of English studies including:
- Reading: word reading and comprehension
- Spoken language
- Writing: vocabulary, grammar, punctuation, composition, transcription
- ESOL – English for speakers of other languages including adults
- Adult Literacy – reading and writing
- 11+ English coaching exam preparation
- English Literature – for students studying a range of texts, including novels, plays, poems, and non-fiction works. how to analyse and interpret these texts, practise writing in different styles and forms, such as essays, reviews, and stories.
A tutor can help to prepare for GCSE and A Level English exams including revision, mocks, resits, working through past papers, planning and assessments. Many tutors have valuable direct experience of working with exam boards and knowledge of what is expected from a student. All English Language examination boards are covered including AQA, OCR, SQA, Edexcel and WJEC.
ESOL / EFL: English tuition for speakers of other languages
Tutors take into account key considerations when teaching English to speakers of other languages. They know the importance of understanding the background and needs of students to help tailor your lessons to specific needs and goals.
Learning a new language can be challenging, so it’s important that the tutor is patient and encouraging with your students.
- Using authentic materials, such as news articles or videos, can help you learn English in a natural way.
- You’ll be encouraged to speak and practise English as much as possible.
- While it is important to cover all language skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing), focus will be put on the skills you need the most help with.